Metal Head Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metalcore- Metal or not?

+2
NightReaper
Angel Of Mercy
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Metalcore- Metal or not?  Empty Metalcore- Metal or not?

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 am

Just a big debate in the heavy metal world whether Metal-core the genre populated by bands such as Killswitch Engage, Glamour Of The Kill, All That Remains and similar bands. Metal or not?
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Metalcore- Metal or not?  Empty Re: Metalcore- Metal or not?

Post  NightReaper Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 am

I think they are metal. You need to think to yourself "what defines metal" in which you go with distorted guitars, use of mainly minor scales and anything else Black Sabbath threw into that melting pot of theirs. So by that definition I'd say they're metal Smile
NightReaper
NightReaper

Back to top Go down

Metalcore- Metal or not?  Empty Metalcore

Post  m3garh0d Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 am

My view, I'm not a huge fan of the genre though a few bands have managed to get into my playlists such as Atreyu, Killswitch, Bullet to name the best of a bad genre but that's only because they recognise (and rip off in most cases, *I'm looking at you Atreyu with you're In Flames riffs*) anything that emerged from 1969 up until the late 80's when everything was awesome.

Frankly if there's a band of that genre that don't even recognise their fathers of the great music such as Sabbath, Maiden or Priest they're not worth a listen in my view.
m3garh0d
m3garh0d

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:56 am

IMO metalcore can get pretty "samey". However the first word of the genre indicates that yes it is indeed metal! My favourite metalcore band is Killswitch Engage. My Curse was the song that really got me listening to them Smile Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://metalheadsrock666.vampire-legend.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 am

This wasn't the response I was expecting, I was actually expecting a whole lot of "Datz nut metalz". Strange, I like some Metal-core. But most of It I don't like.
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  m3garh0d Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:13 am

How about this "DATZ NUT METULZ N00B GTFO" lol! Nah its not a brilliant genre of our time I have to admit anymore than nu-metal is
m3garh0d
m3garh0d

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah Nu-metal was just an awful phase where people thought backwards baseball caps and jeans half way down their legs were cool. Please God. Don't let that come back...
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 am

Ahh but see nu metal was what got me into the metal im into now.. Sure some people think its awful... I beg to differ Cool
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  m3garh0d Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 am

That is true, it's the simplest of things that gets us into the best things the world has ever produced.
m3garh0d
m3garh0d

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah, I agree there is some good Nu Metal. I.E Disturbed....
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  m3garh0d Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 am

Is it fair to say Disturbed have evolved musically but in our hearts they will always be NU? Laughing Very Happy
m3garh0d
m3garh0d

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 am

I honestly have no idea, I just assumed they were? Am I wrong?
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  m3garh0d Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 am

No you are right, if you look at their first couple of albums, being a long term fan I've just noticed the evolution of their music over the years. Plus of course their not like other nu bands in terms of lyrics i.e. they don't hate everything for no reason what-so-ever unlike Slipknot lol and that made Disturbed one of those unique bands that survived that awful phase.

My conclusion, any band that can survive a trend/bad period of albums, is Metal in my books Very Happy
m3garh0d
m3garh0d

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:34 am

Dude, you are so right. Smile Nu metal is a phase then?
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NightReaper Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:36 am

I got into metal not through metal. I got into pop punk like Bad Religion and then branched out from there. I moan at times that I wasn't around when the best music was coming out but at the same time, it's cool because I have a back catalogue of all this amazing music and I'm not having to wait for the next release with a lot of the bands I like Smile

Happy that music is one of those things I got myself into rather than family or a friend. Same applies with my guitaring and all that Smile
NightReaper
NightReaper

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am

Your right, totally.
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  m3garh0d Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Now those sir are the words not also spoken by that of a true metal-head but also the words of a true music lover *sniff* I'm so proud Smile lol

But in seriousness yeah I discovered metal through my own doings and not what my friends and family listened to, I remember when I found Linkin Park and that got me more into the metal world I love today. Sadly though my relationship with Linkin Park ended yesterday when I purchased their new album expecting it to be some kind of weird cross over between Minutes to Midnight and Reanimation. The result of listening to A Thousand Suns is so bad I can no longer listen to their old stuff. I knew things would get bad after Minutes to Midnight but not like this.....*awkward pause*

I think I need a moment alone *runs into a corner and cries* Neutral

Ok rant over. Hail to Music cheers
m3garh0d
m3garh0d

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Exactly, I liked Linkin Park. When I first heard Meteora I thought wow what is this, but now it's cringe-worthy to listen to if you compare it to the terrible last release and A thousand suns. I thought they were dreadful, but it's the evolution of the band and the band is changing, maturing. For better or worse. It depends on your perspective.
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hungryhippo1985 Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Im with you guys. Linkin Park was the first album I ever bought, metal or otherwise. I started off with Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn before I then found Metallica and progressed from there. I think metalcore is metal however im not a huge fan of the big bands that front the genre eg Killswitch, Atreyeu etc. This arguement can be repeated for any number of bands and sub genres. I know Miriam doesnt consider Skindred metal, whereas i think it certainly is, just not in a traditional way.
hungryhippo1985
hungryhippo1985

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=517044114

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Yeah, I would say with Skindred they have elements that are Metal. But they aren't really a metal band? yes?
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hungryhippo1985 Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:30 pm

I think the lines between what is and isnt metal are very blurred. and really, what causes this is opinion. One mans rock is another mans metal. For instance, i dont consider Twisted Sister metal, but they were at BOA this year, and were refered to as a metal band. I think skindred have many different sounds that can be heard in their music besides metal.
hungryhippo1985
hungryhippo1985

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=517044114

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Yeah, Twisted Sister I would say are more Glam Rock, well they were back in their 80's hey day.

Skindred have elements of other things, I like them. Others don't it's subjective. Like Metal-Core.
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AceLucky Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm a little late in on this topic but have been reading the views of others and I'd say yes. To be honest I find people get so bogged down in arguing what genre a band belongs to they forget what it's all about and that's the music itself! Metalcore may not be everyone's taste but you can see where some of the influences come from and it is in my opinion a valid sub-genre of metal. I also happen to love Glamour of the Kill.....haha
AceLucky
AceLucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Of Mercy Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:02 pm

AceLucky wrote:I'm a little late in on this topic but have been reading the views of others and I'd say yes. To be honest I find people get so bogged down in arguing what genre a band belongs to they forget what it's all about and that's the music itself! Metalcore may not be everyone's taste but you can see where some of the influences come from and it is in my opinion a valid sub-genre of metal. I also happen to love Glamour of the Kill.....haha

I love Glamour Of The Kill too! I know I like all the power metal stuff, but they are awesome.

Ace, I agree with everyone's posts, but why are people like "datz nut metalz" towards certain metal core bands?
Angel Of Mercy
Angel Of Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:03 pm

*Waves to Emma* Say Hello to my bezzie mate in the worllldddd ACEEE LUCKKYYYYYYYYYYYYY bounce *hugs*
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next